Tuberc Respir Dis.  2013 Dec;75(6):264-268.

An Elderly Man with Fatal Respiratory Failure after Eating a Poisonous Mushroom Podostroma cornu-damae

Affiliations
  • 1Department of Internal Medicine, Hallym University College of Medicine, Chuncheon, Korea. kimch2002@hallym.or.kr
  • 2Department of Pathology, Hallym University College of Medicine, Chuncheon, Korea.
  • 3Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Hallym University College of Medicine, Chuncheon, Korea.
  • 4Department of Pathology, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea.
  • 5Agricultural Microbiology Department, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration, Suwon, Korea.

Abstract

A 73-year-old, previously healthy man presented with nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dry mouth and febrile sensation 3 hours after eating boiled wild mushrooms. After admission, he showed progressive severe respiratory distress, pancytopenia, azotemia, hypotension, hypoxemia and consolidation of the entire left lung on chest radiography. With a preliminary diagnosis of necrotizing pneumonia, he underwent left pneumonectomy in order to remove all necrotic lung tissue. Lung histology showed extensive hemorrhagic necrosis, massive inflammatory cell infiltration, prominent proliferation of young fibroblasts and the formation of an early-stage hyaline membrane along the alveolar wall. Despite aggressive treatment, including mechanical ventilation, continuous renal replacement therapy and administration of granulocyte colony stimulating factor and broad spectrum antibiotics, he died on hospitalization day 13. Subsequently, the mushroom was identified as Podostroma cornu-damae. This is the first case of a histological evidence of lung involvement by Podostroma cornu-damae poisoning in Korea.

Keyword

Korea; Mushroom Poisoning
Full Text Links
  • TRD
Share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
Copyright © 2020 by Korean Association of Medical Journal Editors. All rights reserved.     E-mail: koreamed@kamje.or.kr