Tuberc Respir Dis.  2001 Jan;50(1):106-116. 10.4046/trd.2001.50.1.106.

Clinical Study fo Pulmonary Thromboembolism

Abstract

BACKGROUND
Pulmonary thromboembolism is relatively frequent and potentially fatal. However, it is commonly misdiagnosed. The incidence of pulmonary thromboembolism is not decreasing despite advances in diagnosis and effective prophylatic measures. Its potential for significant sequela necessitates a prompt diagnosis and treatment. Unfortunately, there are many difficulties and problems regarding accurate diagnosis. There is a low prevalence of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary thromboembolism in Korea and only few reports on this subject are available. METHOD: The clinical features of 36 patients, who were diagnosed with pulmonary thromboembolism at the Korea University medical center, were reviewed.
RESULTS
1) There was no significant difference in prevalence between men an women, and the mean age was 50.9 years in men 59.2 years in women. 2) The frequent causes of pulmonary thromboembolism were malignancies (22.2%), surgery (22.2%), and heart disease(8.2%). Specific causes were not identified in 33.3%. 3) The most common symptom was dyspnea(72.2%), and the most common sign was tachypnea(61.1%). 4) The EKG findings were normal in 28.6%, and S1Q3T3 pulmonale pattern in 25.7%, ST or QRS changes in others. 5) The chest X-ray findings indicated pulmonary infiltation in 37.5%, cardiomegaly in 15.6%, pleural effusion in 12.5%, and normal in 27.8%. The perfusion lung scan showed a high probability in 66.7%, and intermediate or low probability in 33.3%. 6) The pulmonary arterial pressure(PAP) in the high probability groups was 57.9mmHg with a higher mortality rate(35%).
CONCLUSION
Pulmonary thromboembolism is not uncommon in Korea and its clinical features do not differ greatly from those reported in the literature. When pulmonary thromboemblism of unknown causes are diagnosed, a search for an occult malignancy is recommended. Rapid diagnosis and treatment are achieved when thromboemblism is suspected.

Keyword

Pulmonary thromboembolism; Clinical study; Spiral CT

MeSH Terms

Academic Medical Centers
Cardiomegaly
Diagnosis
Electrocardiography
Female
Heart
Humans
Incidence
Korea
Lung
Male
Mortality
Perfusion
Pleural Effusion
Prevalence
Pulmonary Embolism*
Thorax
Tomography, Spiral Computed
Venous Thrombosis
Full Text Links
  • TRD
Actions
Cited
CITED
export Copy
Close
Share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
Similar articles
    DB Error: unknown error