Pediatr Emerg Med J.  2020 Dec;7(2):151-154. 10.22470/pemj.2020.00129.

A case of hemorrhagic gastritis caused by accidental ingestion of fluoride-containing toothpaste

  • 1Department of Pediatrics, Ajou University School of Medicine, Suwon, Korea
  • 2Department of Emergency Medicine, Ajou University School of Medicine, Suwon, Korea


Fluoride is one of the most reactive elements in nature, and commonly used in toothpaste since it helps to prevent cavities. Despite this advantage, excessive ingestion of fluoride can cause acute toxicity and gastric disturbance from hydrofluoric acid that was formed in the stomach. We report a case of previously healthy, 41-month-old girl who visited the emergency department with persistent abdominal pain and hematemesis after ingestion of fluoride-containing toothpaste. Though the ingested dose of fluoride was below the toxic dose, serious symptoms developed. We performed esophagogastroduodenoscopy, and confirmed a hemorrhagic gastritis caused by hydrofluoric acid. The girl was uneventfully discharged on day 3 after receiving conservative care. When managing children who ingested fluoride-containing toothpaste, physicians need to consider their symptoms, not the ingested amount. In addition, parents should be cautious when their children use fluoride-containing toothpaste.


Child, Preschool; Fluoride Poisoning; Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage; Hematemesis; Toothpastes
Full Text Links
  • PEMJ
export Copy
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
Similar articles
Copyright © 2023 by Korean Association of Medical Journal Editors. All rights reserved.     E-mail: