Korean J Ophthalmol.  2017 Oct;31(5):383-387. 10.3341/kjo.2016.0096.

Intraoperatively Observed Lacrimal Obstructive Features and Surgical Outcomes in External Dacryocystorhinostomy

Affiliations
  • 1Department of Ophthalmology, Hallym University Sacred Heart Hospital, Anyang, Korea.
  • 2Department of Ophthalmology, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, Korea. khwarg@snu.ac.kr
  • 3SW Bright Eye Clinic, Pocheon, Korea.
  • 4Department of Ophthalmology, Korean Armed Forces Capital Hospital, Seongnam, Korea.
  • 5Department of Ophthalmology, Kangdong Sacred Heart Hospital, Hallym University Medical Center, Seoul, Korea.
  • 6Department of Ophthalmology, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seongnam, Korea.
  • 7Department of Ophthalmology, Seoul Metropolitan Government Seoul National University Boramae Medical Center, Seoul, Korea.

Abstract

PURPOSE
To analyze the features of lacrimal drainage system obstruction confirmed during external dacryocystorhinostomy surgeries and report the surgical outcomes.
METHODS
We reviewed the medical records of a total of 769 cases who underwent external dacryocystorhinostomy for primary lacrimal drainage obstruction between 2005 and 2014. Data about detailed location and extent of obstruction were collected intraoperatively. The sites of obstruction were classified into nasolacrimal duct obstruction (NLDO), common canalicular obstruction (CCO), and canalicular obstruction. Lacrimal sac mucosa and lumen were grossly inspected, and the frequency of lacrimal sac changes, such as significant inflammation or fibrosis, was analyzed in cases of CCO or canalicular obstruction. The surgical success rate was also evaluated including effect of lacrimal sac status in the CCO and canalicular obstruction groups.
RESULTS
Of 769 cases, primary NLDO with patent canaliculi was diagnosed intraoperatively in 432 cases (56.2%), CCO in 253 (32.9%), and canalicular obstruction in 84 (10.9%). Of 253 cases with CCO, 122 (48.2%) showed clear lacrimal sac lumen, and the other 131 (51.8%) showed significant inflammation or fibrosis of the lacrimal sac. In cases with canalicular obstruction, 35 of 84 (41.7%) showed a clear lacrimal sac, and the other 49 cases (58.3%) cases revealed mucosal changes of the lacrimal sac. The functional success rate was 87.5% for primary NLDO, 75.5% for CCO, and 72.6% for canalicular obstruction. In the CCO group, the functional success rate was lower in cases with significant lacrimal sac change (p = 0.044).
CONCLUSIONS
Even in patients with CCO or canalicular obstruction, a large number of cases have lacrimal sac changes, and those changes were associated with lower functional success rate.

Keyword

Dacryocystorhinostomy; Lacrimal duct obstruction; Nasolacrimal duct

MeSH Terms

Dacryocystorhinostomy*
Drainage
Fibrosis
Humans
Inflammation
Lacrimal Duct Obstruction
Medical Records
Mucous Membrane
Nasolacrimal Duct
Full Text Links
  • KJO
Actions
Cited
CITED
export Copy
Close
Share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
Similar articles
    DB Error: unknown error