Korean J Orthod.  1995 Jun;25(3):247-261.

A comparative analysis of Class II division 1 treatments: adolescents contrasted with adults

Affiliations
  • 1Department of Orthodontics, College of Dentistry, Seoul National University, Korea.

Abstract

The purpose of this study was to quantitate differences in the nature of the correction of Angle's Class II div 1 malocclusion dependent on the patient's age at the time of treatment. The sample consisted of 27 female patients in the adolescent group with a mean initial records age of 11.8 years and 25 female patients in the adult group with a mean starting age of 21.1 yrs. Lateral cephalometric head films were taken before and after orthodontic treatment with four bicuspid extraction. The results were obtained as follows. 1. None of maxillary skeletal parameters exhibited a significantly different in treatment change between adolescents and adults. But, in mandibular skeletal measurements, there were significant differences between two groups. (P<0.05) 2. Measures of vertical dimension in the adults remained unchanged during treatment, reflecting the effective absence of growth. 3. The steepness of occlusal plane in the adults changed significantly. (P<0.05) In contrast, the adolescents displayed stability of the occlusal plane. 4. According to the Johnston analysis, there was a significant difference in the total molar correction between two groups. (P<0.05) 5. According to the Johnston analysis, differential mandibular growth in the adolescents contributed 63% of the total molar correction, with orthodontic tooth movement accounting for the remaining 37%. In the adults, dental movement comprised 99% of the correction.

Keyword

Johnston analysis; Class II div 1 malocclusion; adolescent; adult
Full Text Links
  • KJOD
Actions
Cited
CITED
export Copy
Close
Share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
Similar articles
Copyright © 2021 by Korean Association of Medical Journal Editors. All rights reserved.     E-mail: koreamed@kamje.or.kr