Journal Browser Advanced Search Help
Journal Browser Advanced search HELP
J Korean Radiol Soc. 2001 Feb;44(2):209-215. Korean. Original Article. https://doi.org/10.3348/jkrs.2001.44.2.209
Yang MJ , Ha HK , Kim JH , Sohn MJ , Kim PN , Lee MG , Yang SK , Jeong HY , Ho Y .
Department of Radiology, Asan Medical Center University of Ulsan, College of Medicine.
Abstract

PURPOSE: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the CT findings of phytobezoar associated with small bowel obstruction. MATERIALS AND METHODS: In 19 patients with phytobezoar associated with small bowel obstruction, two of whom had underlying small bowel disease, we analyzed the morphological characteristics of phytobezoars and changes in the bowel and perienteric regions, as revealed by abdominal Ct imaging. RESULTS: On CT, phytobezoars appeared as single or multiple, gas-containing masses in 17 patients (89%) and as a solid mass without gas in the remaining two (11%). An encapsulating wall was noted in six patients (32%). Among the 17 without underlying small bowel disease, the bowel wall was thickened in 13 (76%) at the obstructed site and/or the bowel proximal to the obstruction. Mesenteric vascular engorgement and haziness were seen in 18 patients (95%) and a small amount of ascites in six (32%). MR images of one patient showed the phytobezoar as a hypointense mass on all sequences. CONCLUSION: CT imaging is useful for the diagnosis of phytobezoar associated with small bowel obstruction.

Copyright © 2019. Korean Association of Medical Journal Editors.