Journal Browser Advanced Search Help
Journal Browser Advanced search HELP
J Korean Radiol Soc. 1980 Dec;16(2):539-542. Korean. Original Article. https://doi.org/10.3348/jkrs.1980.16.2.539
Ro IW , Bahk YW , Kim JW , Kang HS .
Abstract

Morphological anomaly such as septation and kinking of the gallbaldder (GB) have been reported by some workersto be responsible for GB stone formation of dyskinesia. Others are however of opinions that this is not true. Thepresent study has been undertaken to establish:(1) the incidence of septation and kinking of the GB, (2) theincidence of gallstones as revealed by GB series and (3) the cause-and -effect relationship between septation andkinking and gallstone formation. The materials consisted of 904 successfully opacified oral cholecystogramssampled out of 1,085 tests performed at the Department of Radiology, St. Mary's Hospital, Catholic Medical Collegefrom August 1975 through July 1979. In the remaining 181 the GB was not opacified. Septation of the GB was foundin 54 cases (6%) and kinking in 31 cases (3.4%), respectively. The overall incidence of such morphologicalanomalies was 85 cases or 9.4%. One of more definite gallstones were demonstrated in 110 out of 904 cases ofclearly opacified GB, making an incidence of 12.2%. If non-visualized 181 cases, which usually is associated withcystic duct or GB stone, are added to this figure the true incidence of gallstone in our series would be in excessof 20%. Six (11.1%) out of 54 cases of septation and 4(12.9%) of 31 cases of kinking, respectively, showed one ormore stones. The overall incidence of stone in morphologically anomalous GB was 10 of 85 cases or 11.7%. Thedifference between the incidences of gallstone in both morphologically anomalous and morphologically not anomalousGB was not significant statistically ruling out positive cause-and -effect relationship between septation andkinking and gallstone formation in the GB.

Copyright © 2019. Korean Association of Medical Journal Editors.